June 2017  
SMTWTFS
    123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
252627282930 
     
Bible Search
Our History

In the beginning...

For Trinity Episcopal Church the beginning was in 1918, when Mr. and Mrs. Walter Terry and Miss Mary Roper felt a need for Episcopal services in the area. After a call to the bishop the first services were held in the Odd Fellows building in Goose Creek, and continued over the next several years in the YMCA building, the First Baptist Church, and in various homes.

Early in 1923, fourteen Episcopalians, including Marybelle Duke Troxell, Blanche Dickson DuPlantis, and Olive Dickson Doyle, petitioned the bishop to establish a mission.

 Services were held on Commerce Street in Walter Terry's office which was transformed into a church on Saturdays with a small wooden cross, folding chairs, homemade kneeling benches, and an organ. 

 Eventually, services were moved to larger facilities such as the Humble Community Building and the McEligot Building in Old Baytown. In 1923, the first church school program was begun. Sunday School classes were held in the YMCA building at the corner of Jones and Defee Streets.

 In 1929, the mission built its first church building, a small white brick structure at 2701 West Main Street, property given by the Humble Oil & Refining Company. The new church formally opened on November 9, 1930 and was dedicated on Sunday, February 11, 1931 by Bishop Quinn.

 After a fire on June 27, 1933, caused by a lightning strike, a new red brick building was completed in time for Christmas Eve services on December 24, 1933. 

 The first stage of a parish house was completed in August, 1935.  On January 20, 1936, the mission was elevated to full status as a parish.

 In 1947, a parochial school for preschool children was established and a new Christian Education building was constructed and officially dedicated on March 11, 1950. In 1953, the church was again remodeled and enlarged.  In 1972, extensive remodeling and redecorating was done. The Snyder building was acquired from Dr. Zelinsky in 1988.

 Another fire damaged the church on February 25, 1979; vandals ransacked the educational building and kitchen on June 27, 1979 and on September 8, 1979 the building was again on fire!

 Looking to the future, the church purchased property at 5010 North Main Street, and on Sunday, Nov. 6, 2005, Trinity Episcopal Church held a combined service at its new facility in celebration of a new chapter in the life of the church.

 Phase I of our Master Plan involved building and moving into the new facility at the new location. We believed this was necessary for our church to survive. Not only did we survive, we thrived! The success of our first campaign  provided us with worship space, multi-purpose space, administration space and a nice nursery.

 We were no longer a church in decline! We became a new church with attractive and functional worship and fellowship space. Worship attendance grew almost 30% on any given Sunday in only seven months after our move to our twenty acre site on North Main. In February of 2006 we had 18 people in our first Confirmation class in three years. We instituted Children's Chapel on Sundays. We saw lots of new faces among us!

 We needed to expand to meet our growing church's demands. Phase II of our Master Plan included a classroom, ministry room, and meeting room wing. At approximately 5,000 square feet, it was large enough to meet our needs for education, choir, guild, bridal and meeting rooms. We provided  four children's and youth education classrooms which allowed for further growth and eased the limitations we had. New choir, guild and bridal rooms gave each of those ministries a place to call their own. Two large meeting rooms, that are convertible into classrooms, provided more expanded space for meetings. Phase II also included a 7,600 square foot Parish Hall large enough to seat approximately 200 people for dinners and large meetings and/or classes.